Having trouble with your media uploader not working in WordPress? It may be that you just need to change the media path in your WordPress settings.
Check media upload path in WordPress
A common cause of the media image uploader not working is due to a website’s server migration. To fix this, follow the steps below.
- Navigate to Settings > Media from your WordPress Dashboard.
- Check that the path in the Store uploads in the folder section matches your media path from your server’s root folder.
Change the upload path in the hidden settings
WordPress has hidden settings so that users don’t accidentally change and break their websites. However, you can change the media upload path there too.
To access these settings:
- Navigate to https://example.com/wp-admin/options.php using your own domain.
- Find upload_path.
- Change and save accordingly.
Can't find media path setting in WordPress?
Some versions of WordPress don’t include this media path setting. If this is the case you can try to update your WordPress version or add the following code snippet into your wp-config.php file.
- Open your WordPress wp-config.php file.
- Try a search for a similar variation of the code below.
- If it’s not there, try adding it in.
define( 'UPLOADS', 'wp-content/uploads' );
You could also try to unlock the additionally hidden WordPress settings and change the path using this guide.